MARC Inc.’s Committee for Self-Advocacy is a group of people with disabilities working together to take charge of and enhance their own lives through self-determination, self-confidence, and empowerment. They strive to build a community that welcomes, respects, and encourages all people to reach their full potential.
Core Goals of the Self-Advocacy Committee:
- Expand residential options
- Close Southbury Training School
- Change the name of the Department of Mental Retardation
- All people be treated with dignity and respect
- Opportunity for meaningful community employment
- Advocated for the the name change of the “Department of Mental Retardation” to the “Department of Developmental Services”.
- Advocating for the closing of Connecticut’s last remaining institution, Southbury Training School.
- Advocating for the passage of the Respectful Language Bill.
Some of Our Activities Include:
- Legislative Meetings & Rallies . . .
- Dinner Meetings
- Movie Nights
- Conferences & Retreats
- Statewide People First Meetings
- Sporting Events & Community Events
Come and Get Involved!!
Many of our members are on local, state, and national boards, actively participating to ensure that all people have the freedom to set goals for their future and the opportunities to reach them.
**One of our members is the current President for Connecticut’s People First, Inc.**
MARC, Inc.’s Committee for Self-Advocacy is a local affiliate of People First, Inc. Connecticut